Monday, 7 July 2014

hello

Depression Blogger

Depression Blog Blogger


Hellooo I’m Hannah, I’m 20 years old, and I’ve been thinking about setting up a blog for a while, but I didn’t really know what to write about. I love fashion and beauty, but there are so many blogs out there that have these as a theme that know so much more about them than me! So I decided that I would focus my blog on something I know a lot about... depression.

People that know me may be surprised to find out that I have suffered on and off with depression since I was about 15, and recently have had a really awful bout of it due to various events. I decided that setting up a blog would give me something to focus on, and I am also hoping that it will help other people in the future. I have decided to set myself a challenge to do something I enjoy every day, even small things like reading a good book, and write about it on this blog. I would also like to share a little about my experiences, and how I have learned to cope with my illness.

The name for this blog came about when I saw a doctor for reasons to do with my depression. I am currently a medical student, and when I told this to the doctor she told me to “pull myself together”, which is totally the wrong thing to say to someone suffering with a low mood! Depression has such a stigma surrounding it, when it is as debilitating and difficult to deal with as other physical illnesses. Even though I am a medical student and have amazing friends and family I cannot help how I feel. It has taken a lot of courage for me to set up this blog as I don’t know what people will think, but truthfully anyone can suffer with depression and it can take many forms, and I believe that it’s an important issue to raise awareness about.

Although my main focus is to alert people to issues surrounding depression and to hopefully inspire others to get help and help themselves, I don’t want this blog to become depressing itself! It is a platform for me to express myself with things that I love and the odd fashion post, and I am hoping that it will improve my confidence in myself, and inspire others to do similar things.

I look forward to posting soon J


Hannah x

2 comments:

  1. I found your blog through a comment and I am very happy I did.

    I think a lot of beauty bloggers mention depression, I wonder if blogging really is correlated with that (as a creative outlet?) or if the sample is simply random and depression actually IS so wide-spread.

    I think I have same symptoms, but as you say, the stigma remains. And I keep thinking if I managed to live half my life with them, they probably aren't worth seeking medical attention - because that would mean doing something about it, but I would be afraid the medications would erase "me".
    I know there are techniques to be in better mood, that good diet, exercise and other healthy habits help to balance hormones and all that, but it's just so hard to be 100% consistent, when you actually aren't cured. Especially when you look perfectly fine on the outside.

    I look forward to reading more! I love your colorful style and that you post a lot. I hope writing will become a good stress-relieving hobby and you won't start feeling the pressure of "having to blog" for the sake of blogging.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much for your comment! I've never thought of that before - I suppose it's probably a mixture of both. I think depression is a lot more common than people think, but blogging is also a good way of expressing it.

      I think it's really important to get some help if you're struggling; nobody should have to suffer with depression for their whole life. It's a horrible illness and can make life so difficult to get through. If you're worried about medications there are also other options such as counselling and CBT, which I have found really help me. I am currently on medication too, and I find that it just lifts my mood enough to help me get through each day - it hasn't changed my personality in the slightest. It would definitely be worth discussing your options with your doctor.

      I know what you mean - it's so frustrating that one day you can feel alright and then the next you plummet down again. Don't give up and you'll get there one day!

      Thank you very much; I feel like my blog is really helping me and I'm also really enjoying doing it.

      Hannah x

      Delete