Friday, 10 October 2014

World Mental Health Day

World Mental Health Day Mind Apples

World Mental Health Day Mind Apples


Today is World Mental Health Day, so today at uni in the guild they set up a Mindapple stall. You had to write five things that keep your mind healthy on a little cardboard apple (your 'mind 5-a-day'), and then hang them on a cardboard tree. There was also a secret box if you wanted to get anything off your chest! I thought it was such a cute idea, and I wrote:

1) Do something you enjoy every day.
I firmly believe in this - it's the objective I set myself with this blog and so far it has really helped me feel better with my depression. Keeping myself busy with things that I enjoy has meant that I don't have time to feel down or think too hard about things.

2) Eat good food.
Eating food that I enjoy always cheers me up - Mum's lasagne and then a big slice of chocolate cake does it for me. Food is such a sociable thing as it can be shared with others or eaten at the same time as others, and for me I associate it with sitting down with my family and catching up on our days. A meal out with friends is always a lovely way to catch up too.

3) Read a good book.
I love being so absorbed in a good book that I completely lose track of time. Most recently, I read The Proposal by Tasmina Perry, and thoroughly enjoyed its plot twists.

4) Spend time with your dogs (if you have any!)
Spending time with my dogs when I go home makes me so happy - they never leave me alone so I never feel lonely, and stroking them is so therapeutic. They are so loyal and it's lovely to be greeted every time I get back, or followed around the house as they want to be around me so much.

5) Have a chat with friends or family.
Most people have that person that they know they can just ring any time and they'll be there for them; mine is my mum. It's amazing how much better it makes you feel just to know that there's someone there that cares about you, and your psychological health can be much improved by just having a quick chat with them.

I think it would be great if everyone thought about their 'mind 5-a-day' - whether it's spending time with that special person, or having a long lie-in on Sunday, make sure you make time for things that make you happy. I could have added so much more onto this list, such as daydreaming or doing something nice for someone else, but these were the top 5 things that make me feel good on a daily basis, so I thought I'd share them with you.

Today I have just been in uni, came home and had a nap, and then went out to Wetherspoons with my housemates for tea. I had fish and chips and then some of the American pancakes - their food is such good quality, considering how cheap it is!

Hannah x

Oh yes, the past can hurt. But the way I see it you can either run from it or learn from it.
                                                             - Rafiki, The Lion King

No comments:

Post a Comment