Wednesday, 10 December 2014

How to survive a cold

How to survive a cold

I've had a horrific cold since last week but it's starting to ease up a bit now - here are a few tips I've found have helped me a bit.




KEEP WARM
One of the best pieces of advice - stay inside and keep warm! I slept for a long time for a couple of days, and was wrapped up in my bed in snuggly pyjamas and a thick duvet. It also feels lovely this time of year, especially with the cold weather we're experiencing at the moment.

HOT DRINKS
I always have hot blackcurrant squash when I'm feeling a bit stuffy; I have since I was a child. There's just something so nostalgic about it that makes me feel better. You could also try honey and lemon mixed with hot water, or even a cup of tea, coffee or hot chocolate. Hot drinks just seem to clear your nose a little.

MOISTURISER
Moisturise, moisturise, moisturise - your poor nose gets so red and dry when you keep wiping it with tissues, and the rest of your skin can feel dehydrated too. Use a thick moisturiser for very dry skin; I like The Body Shop's Vitamin E Moisture Cream as it's really hydrating and soothing, with a lovely calming scent.

OLBAS OIL
This is another blast from the past for me - Mum always used to put it onto our pillows at night when we had colds. Olbas Oil is really cheap and is available from most high street pharmacies. A few drops on a tissue or your pillow can help to decongest your nose immensely, probably due to its strong smell. It can also be used on sore muscles by being massaged onto the area a few times a day.

PARACETAMOL & IBUPROFEN
Sometimes you just need some good painkillers to get rid of that pounding headache and stuffy feeling in your brain. Paracetamol and ibuprofen are available from any pharmacy - always read the instructions before you take them.

SYMPATHY
A great big dose of TLC can work wonders for a cold (especially if you're a man...!) Get your family or friends to look after you because, after all, you are ill - bring me those grapes over, please!

Today has been much more positive for me; I have had good news medicine-wise and I've been more busy, which has taken my mind off things. You may have noticed that I've also had a bit of a blog layout change - I hope you like it!


You can't bring back the past, and you're not promised the future, so get out there and enjoy life - now.




No comments:

Post a Comment