Wednesday, 3 December 2014

Thank you


So what started off as a post with a photo of me in my pyjama bottoms and a Christmas jumper on has turned into an overwhelming source of viewers for my blog. My post yesterday seemed to explode all over the internet and my page views grew and grew before my eyes. Yesterday night I had 990 views for the day, and woke up this morning at 7am with 200. By 9am this grew to over 1000, and currently I have 3700 just today. Unless this is my Mum pressing 'refresh' on my blog thousands of times (love you Mum!), that means that thousands of people have read it. I posted a link to it on our medical school Facebook group and on the Time To Change Facebook, and from these combined have had over 500 shares and over 1000 likes, as well as it being posted on the Time To Change Tumblr. I have also been retweeted quite a few times on Twitter, and have received loads of emails and messages from different people telling me how good my blog is. One person even called me "a hero" which is absolutely incredible (but also completely untrue)!

It is amazing that so many people feel that they can contact me with their stories; I feel privileged to be able to read them and be part of other peoples' mental illnesses. It makes me realise how many people actually do suffer with their mental health, and is nice to know that I'm not alone. It really makes my day to hear your messages, especially those supporting my blog, so if you have any feedback or would just like to share your story, please email me on hannahvenables19@gmail.com. You all keep me going with this blog, and in life in general!

I actually cried slightly this morning as I was so overcome with all of the support I have received over the past couple of days. I think that mental health is such an important topic to raise awareness about, and we can do something to change the stigma around it. By my calculations over 50,000 people may have been able to see the link to my blog, which is incredible that I can reach out to so many. I feel like such a small person in a massive world, but it just goes to show that you can make a big impact if you are really passionate about something.

I received an email that had a line in that really struck me today - a girl pointed out that although those with depression have to go through periods where they feel unbearably low, they also can fully appreciate happiness and feel it stronger than others, which is pretty special. I've never really thought about it this way before, and it really puts a positive spin on it.

I feel so overwhelmed and emotional today (hence the photo of my dog as a puppy looking sheepish and overwhelmed), and have felt amazing due to the sheer amount of people I've reached and may have made a bit of a difference to. I started this blog thinking that if I only helped a handful of people that would be astounding, but today I have realised how much difference I can make if I try. I also became the treasurer today for the newly formed Mental Health Society, which I am really looking forward to getting involved in.

So basically this waffly (but required) post is just to say a massive THANK YOU to all of my readers and everyone that has liked or shared my post. I can't say how much it means to me - I would also like to say a special thank you to everyone at the medical school that took the time to read yesterday's post - I think it's really important that we understand mental health and know how to manage it. And also a massive thank you to Time To Change, who I couldn't have spread my message so far without their support.

Once again, THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! (And don't hesitate to contact me). Catch you all for tomorrow's post? :)

Hannah x

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.
                                               - Audrey Hepburn

2 comments:

  1. Hey Hannah,

    What an amazing, inspirational blog this is. You deserve every success you have received! It's so sad to hear you've been through such a tough time, but what a strong, wonderful person you are for being able to create something as powerful as this. I'm filled with pride to see one of the best friends from my childhood do something so brave. Keep it up, and I hope we have the luck of running into each other again one day soon.

    All my love,
    Lydia (from Mrs Searle's maths class...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lydia,

      Thank you so much for your lovely comment! I hope that you are well and are enjoying yourself in your job. I sometimes miss school as it was so much easier - even Mrs Searle!!

      Hannah xx

      Delete