Sunday, 21 December 2014

The Christmas Tag

Christmas Tag

I found The Christmas Tag on Emma's blog A Little Freckle, and thought it was a fun way to tell you all a bit more about our traditions and my favourite things this time of year. Feel free to copy and paste the questions if you would like to, I love reading things like this. So here we go!...

1) WHAT IS YOUR FAVOURITE CHRISTMAS MOVIE/S?
I find Nativity hilarious - it never fails to make me laugh when I watch it. We're actually going to see the third one this year on Christmas Eve. I also have got into the tradition of watching all of the Harry Potter movies this time of year; I know they're not remotely Christmassy but they're a good family film to watch that always make me smile.

2) DO YOU OPEN YOUR PRESENTS ON CHRISTMAS EVE OR CHRISTMAS MORNING?
Neither! We actually open our presents on Christmas Day after we've had our lunch, at about 4pm. We unwrap presents one at a time, watching each person in turn, so usually end up taking about 3 hours to open everything. We do get to open our stockings in the morning though, and maybe one bigger present from under the tree. I like it this way as it spreads the whole day out, until we all fall asleep in front of the TV watching Doctor Who!

3) DO YOU HAVE A FAVOURITE CHRISTMAS MEMORY?
I remember one year when I was 7 years old, my sister and I went downstairs on Christmas morning to find that there were two envelopes on the tree.  One said it had to be opened at 11am, and the other at 1pm. We were very excited, and even more excited when we opened the one in the morning and had a note saying we were going to Disneyland in February! However that enthusiasm was all forgotten when we opened our envelope at 1pm. It said something along the lines of: "Soon you will have a new sister or brother to share your lives with!" I actually cried (in a good way, not a bad way). I was so thrilled to be having another younger sibling - and now we have Mollie (and occasionally I wondered why I was so excited and ask if we can send her back where she came from...)

4) FAVOURITE FESTIVE FOOD?
Mince pies, Christmas pudding, red cabbage with cranberries and stollen. Oh, and chocolate for breakfast.

5) FAVOURITE CHRISTMAS GIFT?
This is a hard one, as I hardly ever ask for one big gift - I love having lots of little things to unwrap instead. I always like receiving pyjamas for Christmas, and my favourite presents are stocking presents; all the little cute things that you wouldn't usually buy for yourself. My Mum is an amazing stocking present buyer.

6) FAVOURITE CHRISTMAS SCENT?
Cinnamon and oranges - I love candles with that scent. I also adore the smell of a real Christmas tree, which is what our lounge currently smells of. 

7) DO YOU HAVE ANY CHRISTMAS EVE TRADITIONS?
Every year we go to watch a festive film at the cinema and then go out for a meal as a family. In the evening we always have about 20 family friends over for pork baps and a natter, before going to church for midnight mass. Christmas Eve is my favourite day of the year - just beating Christmas Day!

8) WHAT TOPS YOUR TREE?
We actually have three trees (yes, we're a bit Christmas-mad), but our main tree in the lounge has Santa on the top, which is a bit unusual. He looks a bit worse for wear now and by the end of the festive period usually ends up bent forward as though he's drunk too much mulled wine.

9) AS A KID WHAT WAS THE ONE (CRAZY, WILD, EXTRAVAGANT) GIFT YOU ALWAYS ASKED FOR BUT NEVER RECEIVED?
I remember a period when I would always ask for a blue blow-up full-sized sofa for my bedroom, but never received it and always wondered why. I also always used to ask for a kitten, but never received one either. Childhood ruined.

10) WHAT'S THE BEST PART ABOUT CHRISTMAS FOR YOU?
Definitely seeing family and friends. It's the one time of the year when you have an excuse to see everybody. I love the build-up to Christmas - it's an exciting time of year when people seem much happier and jolly, and there is always an excuse to wear a ridiculous jumper with lights on.

So that's basically all you need to know about my Christmas traditions! I would love to hear what yours are.

Today I have been out for a meal with my family and about 20 of our family friends, which was lovely to see them all again and catch up. I'm now ready for a long relaxing bath with a Lush bath bomb and a few scented candles.
One of the most tragic things I know about human nature is that all of us tend to put off living. We are all dreaming of some magical rose garden over the horizon - instead of enjoying the roses blooming outside our windows today.
                                   - Dale Carnegie




No comments:

Post a Comment