Sunday, 15 February 2015

I'm doing a skydive for Mind!


I think I've gone slightly mad - I am voluntarily going to throw myself out of a plane at a height of 10,000 feet. I have wanted to do a skydive for a while, and it's on my bucket list, but I didn't actually think I'd get to tick it off my list this year.

However I noticed that the UK's mental health charity Mind are encouraging people to raise money for them by completing a skydive in May (details here), so I gallantly decided to sign myself and my dad up. I tried not to give myself too much time to think about what I was doing, but now it's all official I am terrified!

Mental health will affect 1 in 4 of us just this year, and Mind are dedicated to providing support to those that need it, to raise awareness and to improve services. It's a fantastic charity that has helped me understand more about my depression, and I have wanted to fundraise for them since setting this blog up. I really want to make a difference to other mental health sufferers like me, and help change the stigma around it.

If you would like to sponsor me to throw myself out of a plane, please go to justgiving.com/Hannah-Venables or text MIHV99 £1 (or whatever amount you want to give) to 70070. Even if you can only give 50p, every little helps!

In other (less exciting/scary) news, I did another post for my university's blog about coping at university with depression - you can check it out here if you're interested. Today has been spent doing little annoying admin jobs and a little bit of psychiatry work, along with a few more episodes of Pretty Little Liars. I've nearly finished the second series now... someone may have to call an intervention soon.
It's okay to be scared, but you have to get out there, open up, love, make mistakes, learn, be stronger, and start all over again.



7 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, wow!! I actually think sky-diving could be really fun, although perhaps not the moment you have to jump! Good on you for pushing yourself to do something so amazing to raise money for a brilliant cause :)
    Jennifer x
    Ginevrella | Lifestyle Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope I enjoy it once I'm in the air! Thanks Jennifer :) x

      Delete
  2. I promise you now as soon as your feet touch back down on the ground, you'll want to get straight back in the plane and do it again. I did one a few years ago for Breast Cancer care and it was the single most incredible feeling. You go girl!

    Lindsey. x
    www.elegant-chaos.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I've heard that from a lot of people! I am excited too, just trying not to think about it too much! xx

      Delete
  3. Wow! This is such a fun and brilliant idea. <3 I've always wanted to try this. I will read the article that you wrote for your university's blog page. :) Have a great week ahead.
    x, shekinahjoy.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice Website...
    Hey JOIN now fblikesbot.com and Increase Facebook Likes your profile and websites.
    Increase Facebook Likes and check your website worth worth my websites
    its may be very beneficial for you also really

    ReplyDelete