Sunday, 15 March 2015

A love letter to my mum


Dear Mum,

Today marks our 22nd Mother's Day together - how amazing is that? I'm sorry that I couldn't be there to celebrate it with you, so I decided to write you a letter to make up for it. (I know that this will make you cry, so please get a tissue ready. You too, Grandad).

You always say that you're "just a mum", and although you're right most of the time, I'm afraid you're wrong on this account. You do so much more than most mums would: you're my best friend and I can talk to you about anything. I feel like we are even closer now due to my depression as you have been there every step of the way, not even batting an eyelid when I was in hospital. You have never been judgemental and always do what is best for me, and have been my constant throughout the worst and scariest period of my life. Your texts in the mornings to simply say "have a good day" mean so much to me and spur me along to get up and be productive, and the Percy Pigs as a pick-me-up are always gratefully received.

I have learnt so much from you throughout my 21 years. I have learnt to be kind and empathetic; to put others first and give help as much as possible; to be strong when it's needed. I can never drop litter on the floor because of you, and always think before I speak. And one of the greatest things you have taught me is that everything happens for a reason. You have been my number one fan throughout everything we've been through together. You were there crying along with me when I received my A-level results and when I found out I'd got into medical school, and have supported me with my blog every step of the way, even if you didn't quite understand it at first! Plus you can always make me laugh with your silly sense of humour (thank Grandad for that one), which never fails to cheer me up.

I am so proud to call you my mother, as you have achieved so much. Everyone always comments on how lovely you are and your friends are always there for you. You are doing incredibly well at work, but never bring that home with you. And look at your blog post that you wrote for me: so many people have read that and it has affected them in a positive way, changing their way of thinking or enabling them to help someone else. Just look at my stats if you don't believe me! And on top of everything you have also excelled at being a mum. I really do aspire to be like you every day as I grow.

You have been my taxi driver, my hand-holder, my hair-holder, my photographer, my nurse, my blister popper, and my bed sharer when I am upset. But most importantly, my best friend, which is what I have really needed all along.

I love you to the moon and back,
Mothers hold their children's hands for a short while, and their hearts for a lifetime.




PS Please donate towards my sponsored skydive for Mind here, or text MIHV99 £1 to 70070 - thank you for your support!

No comments:

Post a Comment