Thursday, 26 March 2015

Home at last


Ahh, it's so good being at home. I got the train this evening back to good old Shropshire for Easter and since then have just been relaxing and reminiscing over old photos, like this goodie.

I was saddened to hear about the aeroplane crash in France today, but when I saw the media coverage I became even more upset. Headlines such as "Killer pilot suffered from depression" and "Suicide pilot had a long history of depression - why on earth was he allowed to fly?" have been splashed all over the major newspapers - if that isn't going to increase the stigma around mental illness then I don't know what is. Obviously I think that he should have been assessed for suicide risk before he flew a plane, but just because someone is depressed doesn't mean that they will kill others on purpose. The fact remains that people with mental illnesses are more of a risk to themselves than they are to other people. I guess we will never know what was going through the pilot's head at that moment, and I am terribly sad for the families of the deceased, but I really hope that this isn't a step in the wrong direction for depression and mental health in general.
You don't have to see the whole staircase, just take the first step.
                             - Martin Luther King




PS Please donate towards my sponsored skydive for Mind here, or text MIHV99 £1 to 70070 - thank you for your support!

No comments:

Post a Comment