Monday, 10 August 2015

Crepes, pizza and cocktails in Shrewsbury

Today I went to Shrewsbury with my friend Jenny, to have a catch up and a nice day out.


ASK Italian, 23 High Street, Shrewsbury, SY1 1SJ

As soon as we got there we felt hungry, so we decided to go to ASK Italian for lunch. ASK is probably my favourite chain of Italian restaurants - their buildings are always lovely inside and the food is delicious. I think their pizzas are better than other Italian restaurant chains. There are also often online vouchers for money off a meal (we got 25% off today). I had bruschetta to start and a goats cheese, tomato and rocket pizza for my main (as usual), and felt thoroughly full afterwards.


Chez Sophie, 10 Mardol Head, Shrewsbury, SY1 1HD

After lunch we went for a wander around the shops. The shops aren't amazing in Shrewsbury but they do have the basics. And a Paperchase, which is always good.

We then felt that we deserved even more food after all of that (okay, about 40 minutes) walking, so we stopped off at Chez Sophie. Chez Sophie is a French cafe just off the Shrewsbury high street that sells crepes and waffles. The interior is so gorgeously French, with lots of little trinkets and old newspapers - even the radio was playing French songs! I decided to have a banana milkshake, which came in a lovely old-fashioned milk bottle, and Jenny had a cup of tea. Just look at the little ceramic rabbit jug that the milk came in, so cute! We then both chose to try the 'Carnival' crepe, which contained chocolate sauce, vanilla ice-cream, cookies, marshmallows and cream, and was absolutely delicious.

We whiled away an hour or so sat on the top floor of the cafe (the interior is actually fairly roomy with a good amount of tables), chatting and gossiping. I will definitely be going back to Chez Sophie again; it's definitely one of my favourite places that I have visited in Shrewsbury.


The Alb, 14 Smithfield Road, Shrewsbury, SY1 1PB

We then slowly meandered back towards the train station, but found that our train was going to be another 50 minutes, so we decided to go round the corner to The Alb for a drink. I had never been before, but was pleasantly surprised by the smart, quirky interior and the back terrace that had old typewriters as table decorations. The Alb is a cocktail bar and restaurant, so we decided to order a couple of virgin cocktails that contained apple, cucumber, mint, elderflower and lime - they were so refreshing and a little like a mojito I guess. And they were also called Bruce Banners, which made them all the better, naturally.

So here's what I wore today... And one with Bruce because OMG LOOK AT THAT FAT BELLY.


Shirt - H&M
Skirt - Asos
Sandals - Matalan
Necklace - Matalan

I've had a really lovely day with a really lovely and special person - Jenny is one of those friends that I won't see for a while and then we'll get on like a house on fire and have so much to talk about when we do meet up. Plus all the food I have consumed today was top notch (I also may have scoffed some cheese on toast with Branston pickle when I got home... I love cheese on toast).
One of the happiest moments in life is when you find the courage to let go of what you cannot change.



No comments:

Post a Comment