Thursday, 13 August 2015

It's the little things that matter


All I have done today is sleep, eat, update my iPod and play with my dogs - and you know what, I have felt the happiest I have in a while. And it made me realise that it's the little things in life that matter: spending time with loved ones, dancing around to your favourite music, reading your favourite book. I've posted a little about this before, with 20 ways to be happy right now and 50 reasons to live.

Tonight I feel weirdly really happy, and it proves that you don't have to have a glamorous lifestyle, or go on an exotic holiday, to be positive about life. You don't have to spend money or go out and do something exciting to be happy. I think the things that have made me feel good today have been spending time with my family and dogs (I can sit and watch them for ages, they're hilarious together!) and listening to some positive new songs (I'm particularly loving Oh My Love by The Score, which is the song in Asda's current 50th birthday advert). I also had a really good sleep last night, not getting up until 3pm today. It's absolutely glorious when you have nothing in particular to get up for - it shows how important sleep is for mental health.

I'm also off to Edinburgh tomorrow for one of my best friend's 21st birthday, which I'm really excited for. I think it's really important to plan things and have things to look forward to - sometimes the excitement for the event can make you happier than the actual thing!
Life has a way of testing a person's will, either by having nothing happen at all or by having everything happen at once.
                  - Paulo Coelho



1 comment:

  1. Sometimes I think that a positive to come out of depression is the ability to really notice happiness and appreciate it. You're right that it doesn't need to take anything fancy to be happy, just time with the people (and animals of course!) that you love. Plus that photo is ADORABLE!
    Jennifer x
    Ginevrella | Lifestyle Blog

    ReplyDelete