Sunday, 23 August 2015

One of those days


Today has been one of those days - you'll all know the type I mean. Nothing horrendous goes wrong but the world just isn't quite right. When you wake up after hours of sleep and still don't feel refreshed, and possibly need to hibernate for a week to get over it. When you finally get up and look in your wardrobe, but nothing looks good on you feel like you've put on about 6 stone overnight, so you end up with a massive floordrobe and your most unflattering but comfortable clothing item hanging off your body. I tried out about 10 outfits and then just settled on a baggy smock dress. And then I almost fell asleep in my Sunday Dinner, so I decided to collapse on the sofa and sleep there instead, before being rudely awoken by Bruce trying to chew my slippers. So all in all, a very unproductive Sunday.

But that's okay. Sometimes you have days like that, sometimes you maybe need days like that, just to feel ready and refreshed for the next day. I know that I'm going to get a really early night and maybe a bath with scented candles and a good book before I get into bed.

I was kindly nominated for the Liebster Award again by Emma from Indecisive Emma, so I thought I would answer her questions in this post - just to make it a little more exciting! Here is my previous post on the Liebster Award.

1) Why did you start your blog?
I have suffered with depression for around 7 years, and during early summer last year I started to suffer really badly with it. I decided to set up this blog to help me with my depression, by writing about something I had done every day, whilst also raising more awareness about mental health along the way. It has evolved into a bit of a fashion and lifestyle blog and I have discovered that I really love writing posts each evening. I have found that over the past year it has really helped me, and I am now in a place where I can look back and really see how much of a state I was in, and how far I have come since then.

2) What's your proudest moment in life so far?
Probably when I got into medical school. I worked so hard to get here, and I remember bursting into tears when I told my mum about it (she did too!).

3) What's your favourite season/time of year?
I actually love all of the seasons for different reasons! I love spring because of the baby animals and the promise of warmer weather and pretty flowers. I love summer because of summer holidays, the clothes, and more days out with family and friends. I love autumn again because of the fashion, cosy nights by the fire, and Halloween and bonfire night. And winter is just special with the lead up to Christmas and all of the excitement that that brings.

4) What's your favourite quote?
"Everything happens for a reason". My mum always used to say it to me, and it reminds me that if anything goes wrong it doesn't mean that it will never be right again.

5) How do you de-stress?
Sleep! I always find that helps. Or read a good book with some scented candles in the background. Someone stroking my hair also weirdly helps to relax me too!

6) What's your favourite high street store and why?
Well I'd have to say Topshop, but I can't afford it most of the time... So for cheaper clothes I head to New Look, H&M and Primark. You can't beat a bit of Primarni.

7) What is your go-to/holy grail beauty product?
If I could only wear one product it would be foundation - I use No7's Beautifully Matte foundation. But I also love bronzer for a bit of colour in my face, and apart from my new Body Shop find (read about it here), I always reach for Sleek blush in Suede.

8) Do you have a fear/phobia and how did you overcome it/cope with it?
I HATE spiders, and have not overcome that one. I cope with it by standing on my bed screaming until someone comes to rescue me. And I also used to have a phobia of wrists (weird, I know, especially when I'm going to be a doctor) - I guess I overcame that by taking lots of pulses and squidging my own wrists in my spare time. Y'know, as you do.

9) What's your favourite time of day?
Mid-afternoon, around 3pm, when you can have a nap or a snack without it seeming too weird.

10) Have you ever made an impulsive purchase/decision? If so, what was it?
Um, I have probably made a lot of impulsive purchases in my lifetime, but let's not talk about that. Applying for medicine was actually quite a snap decision - I decided about a month before the UCAS deadline that it was the career choice I wanted to make, and got about filling in my application form straight away. So basically I made an impulsive decision about how I was going to spend the rest of my life - glad that one has worked out well!

11) What advice can you give to new bloggers?
Write about what you want to write about - not what you think others would want you to write about. Stay true to yourself and your posts will seem so much more ingenuous.

Well this post turned out to be a lot longer than I expected! I hope you have all had a groovy weekend and are all ready for Monday morning (ha).
Be fearless in the pursuit of what sets your soul on fire.



2 comments:

  1. Haha - I had a bit of wrist phobia too!! I used to hate the insides of wrists so much - now I frequently find myself taking my own pulse...
    Jennifer x
    Ginevrella | Lifestyle Blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sleep always does the trick, I love sleep! too bad that too much of it can make you more tired haha :p. I find that when I'm feeling down my room always reflects how I feel. Don't know whether it's the same for you but if I try to prevent a floordrobe or clear it afterwards, makes me feel a tonne better.

    ReplyDelete