Friday, 17 March 2017

10 series you should watch on Netflix


I'm always looking for a new Netflix series to watch, and I know a lot of my friends are the same, so I thought I would give you my recommendations! Enjoy (and apologies in advance for how much of your time this is going to take up...).

Riverdale
This is one of the newest series that I have been watching, but I love it. It is a Netflix original, and only one episode is being released per week. It follows a group of teenagers at Riverdale High who are trying to solve the murder of a fellow classmate. There are a lot of twists and it actually gets quite dark at some points, but it really reminds me of Pretty Little Liars, just with more guys in the main cast.

Gossip Girl
So this may be cheating, because I haven't actually watched Gossip Girl on Netflix (I have the whole box set of DVDs), but it's definitely one to mention. I would say that Gossip Girl is probably my favourite TV series ever, and it's the only one that I have ever watched twice. I'm sure you probably know the storyline, but it's basically about a group of socialites in New York, and it follows them from school all the way to adult life over the 6 seasons, with Gossip Girl generally commenting on and ruining their lives. If you like Sex and the City, please watch Gossip Girl. I promise you won't regret it.

How to Get Away with Murder
This series was recommended to me by a friend, and I was so glad that I started watching it as it's not something that I would usually have picked. How to Get Away with Murder is about Annalise Keating, a defense law professor, and a group of 5 of her students who assist with cases in her law firm. The series follows lots of murders and mysteries surrounding them, and dark secrets are uncovered about the main casts' own lives.

Jane the Virgin
Jane the Virgin is definitely another of my favourite programmes - it's a light-hearted, slightly over-the-top, easy to watch series. Jane decides to stay a virgin until marriage, but she becomes pregnant when she is accidentally artificially inseminated, and drama consequently ensues. Rogelio is one of my favourite characters ever - this is such a funny series that never fails to make me feel good.

Once Upon a Time
Once Upon a Time is a series focused around fairytales, where modern life and stories collide in the town of Storybrooke. Emma Swan's long-lost son shows up on her doorstep one day, and is convinced that she is Snow White and Price Charming's daughter. Emma visits Storybrooke and the fight of good against evil begins, with lots of twists along the way. The reason I love this series so much is that new characters are introduced all of the time, and I feel like I've met most of the Disney cast so far - it really takes me back to my childhood!

Santa Clarita Diet
This is the newest series that I have started watching. It is also a Netflix original starring Drew Barrymore, a mother living a quiet life in Santa Clarita, until she goes through a dramatic transformation that basically leaves her only able to eat humans. I'm only a couple of episodes in, but I'm really enjoying it so far and I like the juxtaposition between 'normal' life and supernatural life - plus it's really funny.

Miranda
Oh, Miranda, you never fail to make me laugh. Miranda is a British comedy sitcom written by Miranda Hart, and it's all about cheesy jokes and slap-stick humour. You get surprisingly invested in Miranda's mostly disastrous life, and I found that I could relate to a lot of what goes on. Definitely one to watch on a day when you need cheering up.

Pretty Little Liars
I couldn't not include Pretty Little Liars, could I?! This is probably my second favourite series after Gossip Girl, and it follows four high school girls after their friend Alison went missing. They have to deal with all that being a teenager throws at them, as well as an anonymous person simply called 'A' harassing them via text message. It is now on its 7th series and is becoming slightly far-fetched (it should probably have ended when the girls found out who 'A' was), but I'm still obsessed with it and the first few series are amazing.

Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt
This reminds me a little of Jane the Virgin in the way that it is filmed, and is another feel-good series of mine. Kimmy Schmidt is rescued after living underground for 15 years in a cult, and she decides to reclaim her life by venturing to New York. A lot of things have changed during the time that she had disappeared for, and the series follows her trying to get used to modern life and technology.

Making a Murderer
Making a Murderer is a documentary on Netflix that a lot of people were obsessed with last year. Steven Avery filed suit against Manitowoc County after nearly 20 years spent in jail for a crime that he did not commit, but shortly after he is released he is blamed for the murder of Teresa Halbach. This series uncovers all of the evidence for and against Steven, and leaves everyone thinking exactly the same thing - did he or did he not do it? I guess we'll probably never know for sure.
No one is you and that is your power.
#projectsmile



1 comment:

  1. Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt is basically the best show ever omg. I've watched (and loved) SO many of the shows on this list, that I think I'll have to start watching Riverdale!

    Steph - www.nourishmeblog.co.uk

    ReplyDelete