Monday, 22 May 2017

Mental Health Monday: It's the simple things in life


Recently I feel like I have been so appreciative of the simpler things in life, and I have just been so happy! I'm not sure whether it's the brighter weather, or the fact that I have so much that I am excited about (my new flat/summer holidays/new job starting in August), but everything seems to make me happy right now, and nothing seems to really phase me.

I thinking noticing the smaller things in life goes back to mindfulness, which is all about living in the now and being present in every moment. I find myself enjoying the present more, and I'm not dwelling on the past anywhere near as much as I used to.

So I thought I would write a small list of some of the simple things that make me happy:

1) Waking up with the window open to the sound of birds
2) Sunshine, sunshine, sunshine
3) Reading a book and taking myself away to another place and time
4) My sparkly make-up bag, which instantly makes me feel 100x more put together when I get it out in the mornings
5) Being on the same page as someone else - thinking and feeling the same thing at the same time
6) Fresh flowers brightening up a room
7) Lasagne cooked just right, with gooey cheese and crispy pasta layers
8) A good night's sleep, and waking up feeling refreshed in the morning
9) Days spent in bed just watching Netflix and knowing you don't have to be anywhere
10) Mornings when you know you don't have to get up any time soon
11) Waking up 2 hours before your alarm and realising you still have lots of time to sleep
12) Taking a photograph of something hilarious, just as it happens
13) Stepping off a plane in a hot country and feeling the warm air hit your face
14) The smell of freshly cut grass (this is so nostalgic for me as it reminds me of when I was at primary school)
15) Receiving a card/letter/flowers from a loved one, just because
16) The first bite of pizza/chips/kebab after a night out
17) The soft glow of candles, and the excitement of using them during a power cut as a child
18) Sitting and talking for hours and putting the world to rights
19) Binge watching a favourite TV show
20) Laughing until your belly hurts
21) Getting into pyjamas after a long day and snuggling in bed
22) Freshly washed bed sheets
23) Feeling like everything is falling into place
24) Looking back and realising that you made the right decisions
25) Singing along badly to the radio in the car
26) Late night Asda trips
27) When the weather gets hot enough to go out with bare legs
28) Dancing all around the house to your favourite music
29) Those days when things just go right and anything feels like it is possible
30) Spending time with dogs that adore you, no matter who you are or where you are from
Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?
                         - Mary Oliver
#projectsmile



No comments:

Post a Comment