Tuesday, 25 July 2017

How I feel about living on my own

The little book of hygge meik wiking

A couple of months ago I posted a flat tour of my new flat in Liverpool that I will be living in on my own as a junior doctor. It has changed a lot since the empty tour - over the last few weeks I have moved in furniture, decorative accessories, many, many candles, pictures, and lots of cushions and blankets to make it feel really cosy and, well, like my home.

And tomorrow I will finally fully move in. I have stayed there for a few nights when I have been up in Liverpool over the summer, but I've never stayed there by myself, and it consequently hasn't properly felt like my own flat. On Thursday I start my induction week for work, and will start as a foundation doctor next Wednesday, so tomorrow will be the first night I spend on my own in my new home.

Quite a few people have asked me whether I'm worried about living on my own, as I guess it's quite a big step. The truthful answer is no, I'm actually really excited!

I have lived in a house share with 4 other girls for the past 3 years and I had a tiny bedroom, so I'm looking forward to having my own space and independence. I'm looking forward to getting back from work and not necessarily having to talk to anyone if I don't want to - I can just curl up on my sofa and read a book or watch Netflix. I also like the fact that I will be able to have other people over without having to worry about annoying anyone else, and I can spread my stuff out all over the flat as much as I like. My mess is my mess, and I can clean it up as and when I want to. I can also have baths whenever I like and not worry about hogging the bathroom!

I think the biggest excitement for me was being able to decorate my flat just as I wanted it, without having to consult with anyone else. Obviously I couldn't change the wall colours or structural elements as it is a rental flat, but I was able to pick out textiles in the colours I wanted, add my own prints to the walls, and choose a pink kettle just because I wanted one. I also fell in love with the flat as soon as I walked in - most of the walls are painted a lovely shade of grey and it has so much character, with some stairs leading down to the bathroom and the eaves evident around the front window.

I guess it's going to be a bit strange to get used to being by myself most of the time, but I quite like my own company and I think after a long day at work it will be quite therapeutic for me. Plus a lot of my friends live just around the corner, so I'm looking forward to hosting dinner parties for them on my new shiny tableware!
There will always be a reason why you meet new people. Either you need to change your life, or you're the one that'll change theirs.
#projectsmile



No comments:

Post a Comment